Tuesday, May 27, 2008

First timer


Hey everyone,


I have been thinking a long time about starting a blog. First, I had to figure how a blog works! I guess it is a place that I can share my thoughts and pictures with the world.

Just to start, I will give a brief history and will periodically do a retrospect and tell about my trip out here to California.

I am in Oakland working at a hospital doing general and vascular ultrasound and living in Alameda. I have been here going on six weeks.

My wife is still at home with my boys. Blake graduates this weekend and I am flying home for that. He and my other son, Seth are getting an apartment together. Seth graduated from IT school this past March. At the end of this assignment Gina will be traveling with me. We have been planning this for some time now. We both love to travel and this will allow us to see the country while someone else pays for the trip!

Gina and I drove from our home base in Ky. here to Oakland. We took most of a week to make the trip. We stopped at various places and that is where I will do some retrospective posts and tell you about some of the great places to see in this country.

This past weekend my nephew, who move to the SF area a few months ago, and I went to Monterey and down the Big Sur coast. I was disappointed with Monterey, it was really touristy. If you have children it seems to be a place to go. There were alot of families there. I found the Monterey Bay Aquarium which I will visit next month with my wife. The Big Sur coast is awesome. It is very similar to the Mendicino county coastline that I visited a couple weeks ago.

Big Sur is so named after the river that drains the valley the "Big Sur River". This area is divided into two parts the "north coast" which is from Carmel down to the Big Sur Valley. The second part is called the "south coast" (imagine that!). The south coast is the remaining 60 miles or so to San Simeon. The Big Sur Valley is rich in visual treasure but poor in opportunities to make a living.

Until next time...............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chuck!
Awesome idea. Enjoying this very much. Have a safe trip home this weekend!
Cliff and Christi